Salem Baptist History


Salem Baptist Church was organized in 1869 by Black residents who lived in and around the community of Welcome, Virginia in King George County. The founding members purchased land on which they built a one room log church for their members to have a place to worship. They furnished the church with handmade furniture of unrefined wood. The newly formed congregation chose to name their church Salem, which means peace.
On April 17, 1871, Reverend Tolson Johnson became the first pastor of Salem Baptist Church. Thomas Thornton, Frederick Clopton, Edward Scott, Edward Gatewood, Elebeck Barnes, Daniel Lomax, James Starks, and Moses Coleman served as the first deacons; and Griffin Harvey served as clerk, Frederick Clopton served as treasurer, and William Manning served as sexton. Under the leadership of Reverend Johnson, the log church was replaced with a frame church which included a gallery.
In 1911, the church purchased a bell which was placed in the church’s steeple and later moved to the newly constructed bell tower.
Over the years, as Salem Baptist Church has prospered with dedicated leaders and members, they have made improvements to the church to accommodate their growing congregation and they have purchased more land to enlarge their cemetery.
Today, Reverend Leonard G. Bland is the pastor of Salem Baptist Church. Reverend Bland has served as the church’s pastor since 1980.